);
Savvy Tips & Helpful Hints

Skin Protection Tips for Keen Travelers

Travel to hot climates is always good for the soul. Nothing beats relaxing on a sun lounger with a good book and a cold drink. But spending a lot of time in the sun isn’t good for our skin. Too much sun exposure causes premature aging and worse, increases our risk of skin cancer. Here are some useful tips for protecting your delicate skin if you love to soak up the sun on holiday.  

Sun Cream 101 

Sun protection cream or lotion is critical, no matter what skin type you have, but if you are fair-skinned, you shouldn’t set foot outside without it. Applying sun cream is the quickest and easiest way to protect your skin. It only takes a few minutes to slather sun cream everywhere, yet we often assume we are safe because it’s a cloudy day.  

A recent study found that only 30% of women in the US applied sun cream before going outdoors for an hour or more. So, the other 70% just hoped for the best.  

Even if the sun is obscured by clouds, it’s still essential that you apply skin protection. Choose an SPF suitable for your skin type. The fairer your skin, the higher the SPF you need.  

Apply sun protection cream to all areas, not just the most obvious ones, like your nose or upper chest. Any part of your body exposed to the sun is vulnerable. This includes the top of your head (if you’re a man and you have very little hair), the tips of your ears, and your lips. Even your feet can burn on a hot day if you wear sandals or sliders! 

Slap on the sun cream at least 30 minutes before you go outside, to give your skin a chance to absorb it.  

Pick a product that includes protection against UVA and UVB rays. If you plan on swimming at any point, stick to waterproof products. Yes, they are greasier, but they do the job. Being in the water tends to magnify the sun’s rays, which means you will burn more and faster. Waterproof sun protection is also advisable if you sweat heavily.  

Reapply sun protection every two hours, or more if you swim or sweat buckets.  

Wear Protective Clothing 

Wear suitable clothing when in the sun all day. If you have plans to visit ancient historical sites or hike up a hill, wear long sleeves and cool, light cotton or linen fabrics. Cover up to protect your skin. Wear a wide-brimmed hat that covers the back of your neck and face. Sunglasses protect your eyes from the glare of the sun, but they need to be of good quality. 

Repairing Sun Damage 

If you spend a lot of time in the sun, it’s inevitable that some sun damage will occur. There are cosmetic treatments that can reverse the signs of sun damage, such as deep wrinkles, skin lesions, and uneven pigment. Visit Verve, a cosmetic clinic in Sydney, Australia, to find out more.  

Look after your skin and it will stay youthful for longer. Be vigilant for signs of skin cancer if you spend a lot of time in the sun. If you do spot any suspicious moles or lesions, have them checked out immediately.  

One Comment

%d bloggers like this: