Your dog should ideally always be healthy-looking with a thick and silky coat. Depending on what breed of dog you have, however, this may be difficult to maintain. Dogs regularly shed their fur throughout the year, in preparation for the hotter months. Depending on the breed of your dog, this might mean a small amount of hair or a lot.
During shedding season, you may end up with lots of dog hair all over your carpets, floor, and furniture. Ideally, you want to minimize this while also helping your dog keep their coat thick and healthy. A dog shedding supplement or other methods may help reduce the amount of hair your dog sheds.
Reasons Why Your Dog Sheds
Shedding hair is a normal process for your dog and is essential for keeping your dog’s coat healthy. It also helps your dog to regulate its temperature properly during different seasons. Throughout the winter months, your dog will rely on a thick coat of fur to keep itself warm. As spring approaches, it’s necessary to lose this hair, or your dog will overheat during the summer months.
While a normal amount of shedding is healthy, it can sometimes be excessive, and there could be an underlying reason for this. Too much stress, boredom, or a lack of proper nutrition can lead to your dog shedding too much fur. Occasionally it could also be the result of a more serious condition. If you’re unsure, speak to your vet about it as the health or your dog should be the number one priority.
How to Prevent Excessive Shedding
If you’re finding that your dog is shedding excessive amounts of hair, there are things you can do to reduce it. First off, it’s important to check that an underlying health condition isn’t causing the shedding. Once you’ve eliminated this possibility, follow these steps to help reduce and manage your dog’s shedding:
1.Lots of brushing- brushing is the best way to handle your dog’s shedding as it removes the fur before it has a chance to fall off and cover your sofa or carpet. Try to brush your dog once per day and possibly more during the spring.
2. Use a dog shedding supplement – These are specially designed formulas that provide the proper nutrition your dog needs to grow a healthy and silky coat. Products like Petlab’s dog shedding formula are easy to use. Just add to your dog’s water, and you’ll soon see the benefits of a healthier coat and less shedding.
3. Bathe your dog – The more you clean and bathe your dog, the fewer problems you should have with shedding. Bathing helps to remove excess fur and also keeps your dog’s coat nice and healthy. Keep the baths regular, and you’ll find shedding is much less of a problem. Be sure to brush directly after bathing your dog too.
4. Check your dog’s food – Sometimes excessive shedding may be caused by a lack of proper nutrition. Check that the food you’re giving your dog is nutritionally balanced, as missing some key vitamins or nutrients could lead to an unhealthy coat. Even if you’re already supplementing with a dog shedding formula, it’s still good to make sure that your dog’s food is nutritionally complete.
5. Supplements are also a must for dogs – The necessary nutrients maintain the overall health at the highest level, they help to prevent the surfacing of local problems such as hair loss, somnolence, digestion problems, inertia or anxiety. LivelyPaws natural supplements will help in avoiding this type of problems.
6. Regular dog grooming – Keeping your dog’s coat groomed is another good way to prevent shedding from getting out of control. Keeping your dog’s fur trim and tidy is particularly useful if you live in a warmer climate, where your dog will struggle to stay cool.