Chiropractic is a complementary practice in medicine that is used to treat musculoskeletal problems with the main focus on spine care. With chronic back pain being a common ailment among most people in the world, people are finding alternatives for pain relief. Among them, chiropractic care is a popular option with about 22 million people in America going to chiropractors annually.
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic medicine which was once ridiculed by the medical community is now a recognized and well-respected health care profession. The practitioners are called chiropractors who follow the same rules and regulations as the allopathic doctors. It is a branch of medicine that focuses on the relationship between the body’s main components: the skeleton, nerves, and muscles with health. The practitioners believe that health improves through chiropractic adjustments of the musculoskeletal systems and there is also a greater emphasis on holistic health.
What are Chiropractic Adjustments
Chiropractic adjustments are also known as manual manipulation, spinal manipulation or chiropractic manipulation and are therapy treatment, especially for lower back pain. It is a procedure that is done by specialists called chiropractors who use their hands or instruments to apply a sudden or controlled force to a spinal joint. It helps in better mobility and also cures stiffness. It is also used to treat the subluxation or partial dislocation so that it increases the range of motion. It also reduces nerve irritability and improves functioning.
Types of Chiropractic Adjustments
Chiropractic adjustments ensure that the body’s musculoskeletal system is aligned properly and functions well. There are many types of adjustments that can be utilized to achieve this and most of it involves the spine but can be used on other body parts too. Some of the common adjustment techniques are:
Direct thrust technique: In this technique, the focus is on the spine and hence called spinal manipulation.
- Thrust is applied to the vertebra using hands or a small equipment
- Joint cavitation happens due to the release of gas like oxygen, carbon-di-oxide, and oxygen and that aids in relieving pressure.
- After a minor feeling of discomfort due to spasm in the surrounding muscles or tissues, there will be a sensation of relief.
Spinal mobilization: It is a much gentler approach than the earlier technique and is applied to patients with osteoporosis. Professionals from Align Integrated Medical, say that these adjustments not only improve the spinal motion but also boost the physical functioning of the body. Gentle stretches with slow movements are used instead of thrusts.
Articulatory: It is a technique that is targeted at joints that are injured and the treatment intends to restore the motion. Applying force, the specialist moves the arms, legs and other extremities.
Myofascial release: It is targeted at myofascial tissue which is a membrane that connects, and covers the muscles in the body. Stress or other issues can lead to stiffness in it that can lead to pain. In this treatment, the doctor finds the areas which are stiff and puts pressure so that it loosens up making it free for movement without pain.
Muscle energy technique: This is also like myofascial release but needs the involvement of the patient. The patient is asked to use specific muscles and counter-pressure is applied by the practitioner to strengthen the weak muscles. It improves blood flow and releases trigger points. At the end of multiple sessions, the patient has less pain and more mobility.
Cervical spine manipulation: Cervical spine is a portion of the neck and issues in it can lead to discomfort in shoulders, upper back or head which results in reduced motion. The cervical spine is manipulated by using spinal mobilization or direct thrust to regain normal functioning.
Functional technique: Joint restriction is freed through this technique so that it increases mobility. The restriction is detected and force is applied gently and held till it releases the restrictions.
Indirect positional technique: It is a treatment for over toned muscles which may be caused due to sedentary lifestyle or poor posture. The joints are held in a neutral position and force is applied so that the muscles lengthen and the tightness is released to regain normal positioning.
Benefits of Chiropractic Adjustments
- Reduces Blood pressure: Chiropractic adjustments have the same effect as high blood pressure medications, as per a study. Moreover, the effect of the adjustments lasts for up to 6 months and has no side effects.
- Decreases scoliosis: It is a condition of abnormal spine curvature which results in pain, bad posture and even reduced motion. A chiropractic adjustment can treat scoliosis effectively. It not only treats it but also prevents its progression.
- Reduces Sciatica: It is a condition that happens due to pressure or damage to the sciatic nerve. The condition causes pain to radiate from the lower back to the legs. Chiropractic adjustments help in relieving pressure on the nerve and reduce the severity of pain.
- Relief from headache: Headaches can be caused due to migraine, tension or back and spinal problems. By undergoing chiropractic treatment, muscle tension in the back, as well as the head, is released, thereby reducing headaches.
- Reduces inflammation: Chronic inflammation leads to various issues like pain, cancer and even heart diseases and hence it is essential to reduce it. Chiropractic adjustments can help in reducing inflammation and also relieves back pain, joint pain, etc., thereby decreasing the risk of chronic diseases.
- Improve kids’ health: Chiropractic care is not only for adults but it helps children as well. It can help with colic, ear infections, and boost the immune system.
- Improves symptoms of neurological conditions: Chiropractic treatments help in boosting blood flow to the brain and body. Blood flow aids in the increase of spinal fluid which aids in reducing the symptoms of neurological conditions like epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.
Surgeries and other allopathic medications have many side-effects and are also expensive and risky. Chiropractic care is a non-invasive treatment option which can easily and safely solve your problems. The adjustments and other techniques focus on improving overall health.