Savvy Recipes ~ Beef Stroganoff (Family Favorite!)
This is a family favorite in my house and I honestly fell in love with Beef Stroganoff when I was in high school and spent the weekend with my best friend. Her father was a chef, believe it or not…. for the military! He was the most amazing cook and this was a dish he made on one of the weekends that I spent at their house. I was in love and started making it for my own family…. via his instructions when I was a bit older…. and it is a favorite that everyone loves and enjoys. Try it out for yourself!
- 1 Pound Sirloin Steak (This is my favorite to use… but you can purchase Round Steak or Pre-sliced packages of thinly sliced steak for fajitas & stir fry…. as well and it is delicious! SLICE IT INTO THIN STRIPS
- 2…. 8 ounce cans of sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 1 Large White or Yellow Onion (Sliced in half and then Sliced Thinly)
- 1/2 Stick of butter
- freshly minced garlic
- 1 can Campbell’s (or any brand you want) of Beef Broth
- 1/2 of a container of sour cream
- 1 package of egg noodles (cooked al dente)
- Thinly slice the steak and set aside.
- Cut the Large Onion in half and slice thinly.
- Drain the 2 8ounce cans of mushrooms…..
- Saute the onion and mushrooms in 1/4 stick of butter until soft in a large skillet. Put the onions and mushrooms once cooked, to a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan… melt the remaining 1/4 stick of butter and add the strips of steak and some of the minced garlic.
- Brown the strips of steak with garlic until all meat is browned.
- Add the beef broth and simmer on low for about 25 to 30 minutes. (I always have a little extra beef broth so that I can cook and simmer even longer… the longer you simmer the more tender the strips of steak will be PLUS they are more flavorful. Just make sure to add a little more broth if the broth cooks down while simmering.)
- After about 30 minutes of simmering… add the onions and mushrooms back to the mixture and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add sour cream until you have a creamy broth mixture to serve over the egg noodles. Let simmer for a couple of minutes on medium low heat.
- Serve on top of buttered egg noodles…. sprinkle a little freshly chopped parsley for brightness and enjoy! You can serve with a loaf of fresh bakery bread as well and/or a salad. DELICIOUS!